Whether it’s a single, one and a half or double car garage that you’re thinking of, we’ll help you to decide on the size that will best fit your space, meet your needs and align with your budget. Garages, Detached Garages, Custom Garage – Summit, Ottawa’s Garage Builder
The One Stop Solution
When you hire Summit for your custom garage project, we’ll provide you with all of the services that you’ll need, from start to finish, to make it easy for you!
From demolishing old structures, to designing a new structure with you, to obtaining architectural drawings and engineering approval, to applying for and obtaining the building permit, we save you the time and headaches. And if you want electrical in your garage, we can take care of this for you as well, using our licensed electrician. Garages, Detached Garages, Custom Garage – Summit, Ottawa’s Garage Builder Garages, Detached Garages, Custom Garage – Summit, Ottawa’s Garage Builder
An Excellent Investment
A garage is one of the best investments that you can make to increase your property value. In addition to it’s immediate utility, when the time comes to sell your house, buyers view garages as an attractive, and often essential, addition to a home. Having one can immediately boost the market value of your residence, as everyone wants additional storage, and with Ottawa winters, people don’t want to have to clear their car of snow.
All of our garages are custom built from raw materials on your property, so you can have exactly what you want at competitive prices.
Our staff have significant experience and expertise because this is what we do – year in and year out. When you hire Summit, you can do so with confidence, knowing that it’s our staff that will be building for you, as this allows us to uphold the high quality standards that have earned us our reputation.
Beginning the Process
To start, we need to gain an understanding of how you’ll be using your garage, as this may influence the size and design. We’ll then assess your property to see what size will fit best and is allowable by the City. The slope of the land and access to the area is also important, as we’ll need to get gravel and concrete to the site. Based on our onsite visit, and with an understanding of your needs and any specific design requirements, we’ll be able to provide you with a quote. Garages, Detached Garages, Custom Garage – Summit, Ottawa’s Garage Builder
It is recommended that structures be built four (4) feet from the property line. While the City of Ottawa allows garages to be built up to two feet from the property line, as soon as you want to build closer than four feet from your property line, a grading plan will be required and this adds cost and several weeks of lead time to your project. If a grading plan is required, once this is obtained, we will be able to proceed with the process of applying for a building permit. Detached Garages, Custom Garages – Summit, Ottawa’s Garage Builder
Planning Your Garage
When planning for your garage, you’ll want to give some advance thought to how you plan on using this new space. Will it only be for parking a vehicle? Will it be for parking and storage? Parking and a workshop? Do you want room for shelving along one or two walls? Will bikes hang from the ceiling? These things, as well as the items listed below, need to be taken into consideration when planning the design of your garage. Our designer will work with you, but we’ll need your input!Detached Garages, Custom Garages – Summit, Ottawa’s Garage Builder
Siding and Colours
Once you’ve decided on the size and style of garage that you want, you can customize the look of your structure by selecting your exterior finish and colours. Many of our customers choose to match their house or their yard, but it’s really up to you! Detached Garages, Custom Garages – Summit, Ottawa’s Garage Builder
A favourite among wood lovers! It requires treatment though, as cedar will discolour to gray over time.
Primed for painting or pre-finished with an advanced, baked-on coating that provides a long-lasting, vibrant finish in all weather conditions. Ask to see our colour options.
For a modern, architectural look. Primed for painting or pre-finished with an advanced, baked-on coating that provides a long-lasting, vibrant finish in all weather conditions. Ask to see our colour options.
What to Expect
To better understand what to expect during the construction process, take a look at the details under each of the tabs. This information explains our process ‘every step of the way’, including when inspections by the City of Ottawa take place.
Preparing and pouring the pad
- The area is excavated and excess soil is removed; 12” wide x 12” deep footings run around the perimeter of the pad.
- Wooden forms are installed around the perimeter and braced to accept gravel and concrete.
- 4” of gravel is installed in the footings and on the pad surface, and rebar is placed in the footings and tied down with 9 gauge, 6”x6” wire mesh.
- Prior to pouring the concrete, a City inspector will come to your property to examine the preparation of the base of the pad.
- With City approval, 32 mpa concrete is poured into the footings, with 4” of concrete over the pad’s surface.
- The pad is completed with a broom finish and left to cure for 24 hours.
Framing the structure
- In keeping with the Ontario Building Code, the walls are build with 2x4s, 16” on centre, just like a house.
- Standard walls are 8’ high, though higher walls are an option.
- For the roof, we use pre-engineered trusses to ensure maximum strength and stability and a standard 5/12 slope, though steeper slopes are an option.
- Windows and doors are framed in based on the design of the garage.
- The entire structure is sheathed with 7/16” OSB.
- The grade around the garage is filled to ensure that water runs away from the structure.
- At this stage in the process, before any exterior finishes are installed, an inspector from the City will examine the structure to ensure that everything complies with the Ontario Building Code.
Roof, doors and windows
- Once the structure has been approved, we install a water barrier on the outside of the walls, and an ice/water membrane on the roof.
- When these are in place, then the roof is shingled with architectural asphalt shingles.
- Any entry doors and/or windows are installed.
- 12″ vented aluminum soffits and aluminum fascia are installed around the roof perimeter.
- Roof vents, based on the size of the garage, are added as required to ensure sufficient ventilation.
Exterior finishes and garage door
- When everything else is completed, then we install the siding that you selected.
- Aluminum capping is installed around the opening of the garage door.
- The last item to be installed is the garage door and weather-stripping.
- Once the garage door is in, we call the City for final inspection of the completed structure and they issue a report indicating that the garage is approved for use.
Time for Construction
Once we have the building permit, the majority of our garages take 1-2 weeks to complete. Custom orders on doors and windows can take 4-6 weeks, so the sooner these choices are made, the better.
We stand behind our work, with a 3-year, bumper-to-bumper warranty on all of our structures – the best in the business. Exterior finishes have extended manufacturer warranties. Custom garages